As the nation-wide competition for $5M draws to a close and we transition into 2017, let’s take a moment to reflect on 365 days of energy savings, community leadership, and creating a more sustainable and resilient environment!
Our achievements in 2016 include:
- Provided over 250 free Energy Assessments to homes in Monroe County
- Distributed 1,500 free LED light bulbs to encourage energy-saving practices and technologies through Project Porchlight. Partnership with Duke Energy helped distribute an additional 33,000 bulbs. The direct impact of the program is an annual savings of up to $230,000.
- Partnered with 25 companies representing over 7,000 employees and 55,000 residents as part of our Workplace Partner Program
- Partnered with Harmony high school students to educate 2nd-4th graders about renewable energy through our Solar, Wind & Watts Roadshow. In all, we visited 17 classrooms in 6 schools and 370 students in just 6 weeks
- Air sealed and insulated 22 low-income homes with an estimated 10-year savings of over $84,000 and a greenhouse gas reduction of over 46,000 lbs/year
- Hosted or participated in over 200 community events since 2015, including energy fairs, parades, weatherization demonstrations, presentations to the community, and more!
- Provided free Energy Assessments for 16 Child Care Centers, helping to improve our children’s environment and reduce utility costs for local small businesses
- Won the MIT Climate CoLab 2016 Buildings competition for RentRocket.org, a prototype website that empowers renters to see and compare utility costs and gain a better understanding of the full costs of renting
The support we received from you was absolutely invaluable. No matter which city wins the competition, our results don’t lie. The work you helped us accomplish and the difference that we made in our community and environment have helped make Monroe County more sustainable.
We will be continuing the Energy Challenge in 2017 and are looking for support to make an even bigger impact! Any donations you provide by January 21, 2017 could be matched 1:1 through a Partners for Places Equity grant. Your support, and this additional funding, will let us continue to grow the great programs we’ve started over the last two years. Contact us at email@example.com or (812)349-3558 if you are interested in sponsoring or co-sponsoring a specific program.