Congratulations to Woodie Bessler and family for becoming MCEC Energy Leaders!
An electrical engineer by profession, Woodie has a passion for helping people understand energy and use it wisely. The Bessler family has reduced their energy use by 70% since 2009!
Energy Leader Achievements:
- Installed solar panels in 2011, added more in 2013 and has produced surplus electricity since 2013
- Installed a Geothermal system to replace the gas furnace in early 2015 (see graph below for NG usage vs. heating degree day)
- Active member of the Monroe County Energy Challenge Residential Programs team
- Performed free energy assessments
- Original author and a frequent presenter of the Going Solar program which has since been given over 50 times to approximately 1,000 people in Bloomington and across Indiana.
- As a mentor to youth, Woodie has coached MCCSC robotics teams, trained teenagers to weatherize houses, and visited classrooms.
We are so proud to have such an inspiring family in our community!
Know someone in the community who is making a huge difference? The Energy Leader award is presented to individuals that have shown significant achievements in energy efficiency and sustainability in Monroe County. Help us recognize these community all-stars by nominating an Energy Leader today!
Energy Leader Criteria:
To be considered for an Energy Leader award, individuals must display commitment to one or more of the following areas that have resulted in meaningful outcomes (on any scale):
– Improving home energy efficiency
– Sharing energy saving knowledge within the community
– Developing or utilizing innovative energy saving techniques
– Energy Ambassador certification or a member of a MCEC committee dedicated to reducing energy consumption in Monroe County.
Know an Energy Leader? Click here to make a nomination